Tuesday, November 29, 2011

San Diego

I am back again. Maybe. It's been an interesting year and I hope to be more faithful about blogging. Thank you for sticking with me!

We went to San Diego for our 10th anniversary. It's not until December 15th but the ticket sales forced us to use them in November. So, happily, at the beginning of November, we went to San Diego for five glorious days.

We had not been on vacation, really, since our honeymoon. Well, let me clarify. We have taken many trips to Brazil, South Dakota, Kansas City and St. Louis to see family and friends. We took a weekend getaway each year. I guess what I should say is we had not been away together, just the two of us, for an extended time since our honeymoon. Because, honestly, as wonderful as it is with family and friends, that typically means little time together, even if you are always together. So, although I was grateful we had taken trips away, I just wanted Joa to myself.

This trip was glorious. Yes, San Diego was wonderful. It was easy to explore. It had a lot to do and see. And Joa loves the ocean so he was just happy to drive along the coast. It was a bit cold so all we could do was stick our toes in, and even that was a challenge. We road bikes, took naps and ate out. We went hiking. We went to LA for a day. We watched a few ocean sunsets. 







But what was most glorious about the trip was just the chance to reconnect. We didn't have any deep-solve-the-world-or-our-lives conversations, but we also didn't have a lot of distractions. We had fun. Joa ignored his phone for five days. We left our problems behind and lived carefree for five days. Every move was the chance for adventure and we embraced it wholeheartedly.

I came back with hope and renewal at our friendship, our partnership and our marriage. It's been a long season of adoption waiting, school pursuing, and goal accomplishing that makes satisfying time alone together a rarity.

Thank God for vacations. Thank God for time away, for renewed perspective and fun. Thank You, God, for time with each other filled with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment