We finally got “the adoption call” we
have waited so long for. We were matched with a birthmother through our agency.
We met with the birthmother and her sister last week. It was a great meeting.
We came away thrilled and terrified.
The baby girl is not due until the
middle of May. But already we have received news the birthmother was sent to
the hospital after one of her doctor appointments. She will remain there until
her doctor determines a c-section is necessary. Here is a bit of an update we
got from our agency:
“She reported
that the they were concerned that perhaps the baby was not growing enough or
getting enough oxygen; blood may not be flowing through umbilical cord like it
should be— that there are pauses, which means that the baby is not getting
enough nutrients. The baby is moving around which is good. The doctors want to
keep her in as long as possible and ‘buy time’ for baby to grow more. She
said it has to do with her high blood pressure.”
Her doctor is out of town until the 18th.
That would be the earliest they might schedule a c-section, though we are all
hoping it will be at least several more weeks. The birthmother is currently 29
weeks pregnant.
This week we also found out my grandma
is not doing well. She is no longer eating or drinking, and her body is
shutting down. The doctors said it would only be a few days. Although she is
not eating or drinking, they have given her a pain patch to make her
comfortable. She is 94 and has lived a full life. At this point, we are
planning on going to the funeral in South Dakota to be with family since she is
already unresponsive.
Joa left this morning for a business
trip for three days. He started to get sick last night. He gets home late
Friday night and then we more than likely will be heading to South Dakota
Saturday morning. It’s about a 17 hour drive.
All these events have overwhelmed us a
bit. We are thrilled about the possible adoption, but nothing is a guarantee
until the papers are signed. They can’t be signed until 48 hours after birth
according to Texas law. The birthfather knows about the pregnancy but is
uninterested and out of the picture. The birthmother is determined to choose
the plan of adoption for baby girl, but half of her family is supportive and
half of her family isn’t.
Prayer requests:
-Pray for us, that we choose to walk in
faith not anxiety. We know this could end differently than we want it to, just
like with Ethan. Pray that we would choose to trust God’s sovereignty and
goodness.
-Pray that we trust God’s timing and trust
Him to work out all the details we can’t. I think we were envisioning the worst
case scenario yesterday, that we would be driving to or in South Dakota when
the agency would let us know we need to come to San Antonio (where the
birthmother lives) for baby girl’s birth. There is a 22 hour drive time between
South Dakota and San Antonio!
-Pray for birthmother (Irene) and baby
girl’s health. Pray for wisdom for the doctor to make accurate and timely
decisions about Irene and baby girl. Pray baby girl is able to remain and grow with
adequate nutrients in the womb for several more weeks.
-Pray for my grandma, for peace and no
pain.
-Pray for our time together as a
family, that God would continue the redemption and restoration He wants. For a
time of celebrating my grandma’s life as well as grieving her loss.
-Pray for safety in driving to South
Dakota soon for the funeral.
-Pray for God’s provision as we may
have a few surprise expenses we had not planned on if baby girl comes early and
stays in the hospital for a few weeks.
I will be posting any updates or
changes here on my blog and posting a link on facebook. If you do want to get an email update, we would
be happy to send it. Just let us know!
Thanks for your support in this LONG
adoption journey. We are grateful and blessed to have your care and prayers.
Love
Connie (and Joa)
I'm praying for all your request!I think about you often.
ReplyDeleteJessica Northup
Thanks, Jessica!
DeleteI'm praying for you and your requests Connie. Also, I'm not sure what you are in need of for a new baby, but I do have a bassinet that I could send you if you need one. I bought it for my last child but it is still in good condition. If there are other things you need, please let me know and if I can help you out, I sure would love to! :-)Sending love and many blessings to you and your family during this time.
ReplyDeleteConnie . . . you were in our adoption class at Generations (We are Stephen and Maria Holland) . . . and if you want to remember who we are you can see my very outdated blog at www.hollandfamilycircus.blogspot.com I came across your blog after seeing you disappear off the website 2 years ago (when waiting for Ethan) . . . we were heart sick for you when you showed back up on the adoption website knowing something must have changed. Your situation now sounds so similar to what ours was with our dear Jori . . . she stopped growing in utero and was delivered C-section a month early . . . we actually took Jori home the day we were originally supposed to meet with her birth mother because it all happened so fast (long story). Very similar situation with family and birth father as well. Now almost 2 years later . . . we have the best relationship with her birth family and wouldn't trade them for the world.
ReplyDeleteI know this is a hard and nerve wrecking time for you . . . praying that God's plan includes this sweet baby in your life! I have a great friend whose baby was born at 29 weeks and he is a happy, healthy 7 year old now :-) Just wanted to stop and say I am thinking about you guys and praying for you . . . I was excited to see you drop off the site last week and kept checking your blog to see an update :-) Anyway, know that you are in our prayers as you go through this time :-).
Hi Maria! Wow, I am humbled and impressed you kept track of us through these two years. I feel really cared for by a fellow adoption family. I read your blog and your story; how nerve wracking but what a beautiful ending! Thank you for taking the time to write a note and encourage me; I really appreciate it!
Delete