“I want you to be ALL MINE, filled with the Light of
My Presence. I gave everything for you by living as a man, then dying for your
sins and living again. Hold back nothing from Me. Bring me your most secret
thoughts into the Light of My Love. Anything you bring Me I transform and
cleanse from darkness. I know everything about you, far more than you know of
yourself. But I restrain My yearning to “fix” you, waiting instead for you to
come to Me for help. Imagine the divine restraint this requires, for I have all
Power in heaven and earth. Seek My face with a teachable spirit. Come into My
Presence with thanksgiving, desiring to be transformed.” June 8th devotional
reading of Jesus Calling by Sarah
Young.
During this time of grief, as people prayed for us,
they have prayed that we might know why this happened, that God might reveal
some of His purposes for us in this time. And while I thought that was a kind prayer,
the pain in my heart said nothing would matter because it would not bring Lili
back. And although that is still true, God gave me a breath of fresh air this
morning when I read the above devotional.
This devotional reminded me of my prayers for at least
the last two years. I tended to be a somewhat legalistic Christian who was
really quite self-sufficient and independent when it came to daily living out
my relationship with God. When I finally was broken and devastated enough by
the way I had been living my life – much like an agnostic in practicality – my
prayer on and off throughout the last two years had been “Lord, please do
whatever it takes to make me more fully Yours. To bring together knowledge
about You and who You are, and make it real in my daily living. For me to
experience Your love, not just know about it. To walk with You daily, dependent
on You and Your guidance.” I wanted change. I wanted to live differently and I
finally realized I could not make that happen myself. I remember praying that a
bit fearfully, knowing that usually I don’t change easily, but it takes some
big traumatic thing. I was even afraid it would mean losing Joa. But there
comes a point when you are so tired of where you are at that you desire what
God wants at any cost. At that point in my life, I had come to realize that
having a true, intimate, close relationship with God was worth any cost. Well,
at least I knew that intellectually.
In the grief of losing Lili, I had forgotten those
repeated prayers. It all came rushing back this morning when I read this
devotion. Going through this situation with Lili has definitely been an answer,
in part, to my prayers above. As I lived in San Antonio for four weeks with
Lili while she was in NICU, I truly HAD to depend on God each day just to make
it through the day. I had to look to Him for His grace and learned that ALWAYS
when I sought Him and asked for help, He gave me just what I needed for the
day. No more, no less. I learned if I tried to apply that grace to future
worries, I had already spent the grace He had given me for that specific day. I
learned that He really is the author and perfector of our faith (Heb 12:2) so
that I did not have to “work hard” to somehow on my own “make” enough faith.
Any faith I had was already a gift from Him; if I needed more, I could ask Him
and He would provide. In the end, it certainly was not about me being
self-sufficient or independent, doing what I needed to on my own, but leaning
and depending on Him. The same only continued as Lili came home and we waited
for a month, not knowing if we would lose her or not. The same needs to
continue after we have lost her, and the grief is overpowering at times. God
continues to ask me to believe in His goodness, trust His sovereignty, rest in His
love, and know that He gives us His very best (even if it feels painful). He
asks this of me. But He always provides what I need if I seek Him and ask for
it.
I could never have learned these things, had them
ingrained in my heart and mind, without this situation. It was like boot camp,
in a way. Painful but necessary training to prepare for what is ahead. God
answered my previous prayers through our journey with Lili; it was one of His
purposes for our time with her.
Knowing that still does not take away the pain. No one
will ever replace Lili. Yesterday we listed the things we loved and missed
about her. Her attentive eyes. Her love of her hands on her head, or her arms
crossed behind her head. Her drama queen actions. Her hiccups. Her cuddling.
Her wiggliness. Her “the-world-is-going-to-end” scream when she was hungry. Her
sleeping peacefully in Joa’s arms. We miss her. The pain of losing her will
take a long time to go away. Maybe it will never fully go away, though the
intensity will lessen. We loved her and loved her well. But we struggle, and
try, and ask God for help – and weakly trust that He has already brought our
good out of it and will bring more good. The tiny piece we see is neither the
whole story nor the end of the story.
This is a great post. I think I will read it a lot. You were the answer to my prayers several years ago, and I am thankful that you posted this reminder for me to stop trying to get ahead of God. You are an inspiration to me.....
ReplyDeleteCathy G.
Connie, thank you for sharing your journey with us. I will not add to the beautiful insight God has already given you. I will pray that each day he teaches you how to walk when you feel like your legs have been cut from under you. Blessings sister and keep walking, you're doing it!
ReplyDelete