Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Bossy Husband

I set a goal for myself when I first started my blog that I wanted to write two entries a month. For the last few weeks, I have had on my running list of things to do a second blog for the month of February. But I never got it done. Last night – the last day of February – after a busy weekend out of town and a long full day, I asked Joa (in my typical non-decision making fashion) if I should stay up to write it. He said no, I shouldn’t but then I should write a blog about it later, about freedom within structure. I thought that was a great idea. Then he even suggested a title which I can’t remember because I immediately dismissed it with a tiny hint of annoyance. Then he suggested a second title which made me laugh because it might be just a little bit typical of Joa. Maybe. It was something about a bossy husband.

While his idea about the blog was fabulous, I wanted to do something else today. And, no, not in rebellion. Actually, in gratitude.

I wanted to publicly thank Joa for being the wonderful husband he is. He is a wonderful guy, my hubby. He is a busy guy with a full time job, classes, teaching and grading. And a few other things thrown in on top of that. In the midst of his crazy schedule, I do occasionally get lost. But he cares for me. Sees me. Knows me. Loves me. On one of his busiest days last week, he took a break to talk and listen and encourage me. He sat by my side when I had a really bad headache and offered me whatever comfort he could. He did the dishes last night after a very busy day for both of us. He did that not because he cares about it. He did that because that is important to me.

I am so glad to walk through life with him. He can almost always make me laugh and that is a huge feat sometimes. Friday as we were going to the airport, everything seemed to go wrong. We were thankful to make it to the right airport to catch our flight, without running out of gas or getting a ticket. He even sweetly smiled at me as he sped down the road and said “I love you honey”. We were able to laugh at all the stressful events not just later, but in the midst of them. That is a gift I am grateful for.

We make mistakes. We hurt each other. We miss seeing the really important things of life. We miss connecting on some days. We don’t always communicate well but think the other has read our mind. We have strong differences of opinions about many things. Life doesn’t go perfectly. He accidentally hit my car that morning. I accidentally left him behind at security with much of our stuff. He accidentally spilled orange juice on me so it looked like I wet my pants on the flight. He accidentally whacked me with his laptop. I (not accidentally) kicked him out of the room when he snored so loudly I couldn’t sleep. He gave me a big smile and a hug in the morning. There is no perfection in life but there is much to enjoy.

I am thankful for a man who I can smile at life with. A man I can trust. A man I am safe with. No matter what we have been through in our nine years of married life, he has always been there. Thank you, Joa. I love you! I am so glad you are my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment